Depictions of animals in jewelry date back to ancient civilizations around the world, from the enameled gold pieces from the Hellenistic period to ancient Celtic talismans featuring stylized birds, boars, and dragons. Zoological motifs were popular in both the Georgian and Victorian periods as well, when jewelers created intricate pieces inspired by the natural world and new scientific discoveries. Since then, animal jewelry has become a signature at some of the world’s most luxurious maisons. One of the best-known creators of animal jewelry is the French jeweler Boucheron, whose iconic animal pieces were developed in 1888, when founder Frédéric Boucheron presented his beloved wife with a necklace representing a snake as a symbol of protection.
If diamonds are a girl’s best friend and dog is man’s, meet somewhere in the middle with the animal-inspired jewelry currently available on Lofty.com.
1. 18K Yellow Gold, Diamond, Ruby and Carnelian Rooster Brooch, 20th Century
2. 18K Yellow Gold and Ruby Bird Brooch, 20th century, signed and hallmarked, Boucheron, Paris
3. French 18K Yellow Gold, Diamond and Ruby Lizard Brooch, 20th century, with 65 round cut diamonds
4. French 18K Yellow Gold and Gemstone Rooster Brooch, with rubies, sapphires, diamonds and emeralds, late 19th/early 20th century
5. 18K Yellow Gold and Diamond Horse Brooch, 20th century
6. Victorian 14K Yellow Gold, Silver and Diamond Brooch, 19th century