Lofty Podcast: Start Collecting Art Like a Pro
Lots of collectors of modern and contemporary art wonder: “Who’s buying what?”
But Aimee Pflieger, head of department for photographs and senior specialist in modern and contemporary art for Freeman’s Auction House in Philadelphia, says that’s the wrong question to ask. A better question might be, “Why do I like the kinds of art that I’m buying?” Or, “Does it make me see life differently?”
“It’s more important to collect things that you really care about, that are important to you, that you want to have hanging up in your house for years,” Aimee explains. “Not just things you bought because you felt like you had to buy them for status reasons, or because you think, ‘Oh, I’m going to start collecting art and I want a Picasso.’”
Today, Aimee joins us in our Lofty Podcasts series to tell you more about how to start to collect art like a pro.
In this interview, you’ll learn:
– How to make sense of a complicated market
– What to do when you have “champagne tastes on a beer budget”
– Condition: Are those little rips and tears a big red flag?
– Three hidden costs that newer collectors often forget about
– What to do when you’re on the fence about a collection
Get it all right here: