Lofty Podcasts: Heirloom Rug Collecting with Zach Zaman
People often ask Zach Zaman for tips on buying rugs overseas.
His advice? Buying rugs overseas is a lot like going to Vegas—you should only gamble what you can afford to lose.
“I like to travel,” says Zach, second-generation owner of Heirloom Rugs. “And I like to pick up something from my trip to remind me of where I’ve been. But if you like a rug, just buy it as a decorative item, not as an investment.”
That’s because unless you’re an expert, you could get a bad deal. “There’s no recourse if you’re in Turkey or Morocco, or in Central Asia, in Uzbekistan,” Zach explains. “Whereas … you could develop a relationship with a seller here. They have a record of business and maybe you’ve had a recommendation from someone.”
Today, Zach is joining us in our Lofty podcast series to tell you more about how to buy and care for rugs like a pro.
In this interview, you’ll learn:
– The factors that affect rug value
– Why younger collectors are getting in the market
– The type of rugs in high demand with interior designers
– The most important place to look for damage before you buy a rug
– How often to have your rug cleaned (hint: it’s not the same for everyone)
Get it all right here: